Wednesday, August 12, 2009

No Place to Lay Your Head

"Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go." Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but teh Son of Man has no place to lay his head."

The packing goes on, whether or not we have an offer on the house, just in case! To date, we have packed more than 50 boxes. Sad thing is, you can't even tell in the house, we have so much stuff. It's like some kind of metamorphic glob that just shifts and reshapes itself to fill the void. We know it's not there, but I don't think a stranger would know. Truthfully, it feels better in here, with less stuff to look at, move around, trip over.

We went downtown for a doctor's appointment this afternoon and on the way out of the parking garage, we noticed one man carrying all of his worldly possessions in one small duffle bag. The reason we surmised that it was all he had was because he was also carrying two very used blankets, and he had the unkempt appearance of one who has lived in the streets for a while.

A mile later, when we were turning to get on the on-ramp for the interstate, there was another man standing with a sign that read, "Will work for food." His bag was at his feet. Yesterday, I passed two other gentlemen near our suburb, one asking for money for gasoline, the other just looking for a ride.

It's going to cost us several thousand dollars to move all our stuff to start a new life in Mississippi, serving the "least and the lost" of the world. "Following Jesus." That's what we're doing. Hmmmm. I wonder.

1 comment:

Angie said...

You are so genuine & honest. I feel like I'm sitting in your living room! Your writing tugs at my heart & challenges me to draw closer to Jesus. I sure can't write like you, but I love reading everything you write! It's good to start or end my day by reading your blog!