Monday, January 11, 2010

Turning 50 -- 75 Days to Go -- Profane and Profound

I've been gratified by the response I've received to the blog the last few days, and I've had a long day, so I thought I'd share a couple of those responses with you. Forgive my brevity, and I promise to elaborate tomorrow night on today's events. For now, just enjoy!

The first is from friend Kay, for many years my number one spiritual mentor and still a precious sister/friend:

"Since you're casting off all restraints (or most of them), I thought this might save you some money and still speak of freedom:

'Good news for all you wine lovers out there!

'Wal Mart announced that, sometime in 2010, it will begin offering customers a new discount item...Wal Mart's own brand of wine. The world's largest retail chain is rumored to be teaming up with Ernest & Julie Gallo Winery of California to produce the spirits at an affordable price - in the $2 to $5 range.

'Wine connoisseurs may not be inclined to put a bottle of the WalMart brand into their shopping carts, but "There is a market for the inexpensive wine." said Kathy Micken, professor of marketing at University of Arkansas, Bentonville. "However, branding will be very important."

'Customer surveys were conducted to determine the most attractive name for the WalMart wine brand. The top surveyed names in order of popularity were:

10. Chateau Traileur Parc
9. White Trashfindel
8. Big Red Gulp
7. World Championship Riesling
6. NasCarbernet
5. Chef Boyardeaux
4. Peanut Noir
3. I Can't Believe It's Not Vinegar
2. Grape Expectations
1. Nasti Spumante

'The beauty of WalMart wine is that it can be served with either white meat (possum) or red meat (squirrel).

'P.S. Don't bother writing back that this is a hoax. I know possum is not a white meat.'"

I've laughed all day about that one, and wished for a little Nascarbernet of my own.

But on a more serious note, dear friend Mari Carley Stermer sent this beautiful prayer, written by her for another friend who turned 50 in December. Would you say it for me? I'll be praying for you, too.

"Prayer for Kathryn

"Does she rejoice, this woman of light, upon reaching her fiftieth year;
As she recalls her nomadic days, the liberty well-lived, well-loved?
Does the looking glass reveal to her the lines or how they were won?
When, in prayer, she opens her heart, does she know you are enthralled?

"Show her you will spend this year redeeming her regrets.
Give release from what enslaves, bring your contented rest.
Return to her what she thinks lost, raise her spirit closer to yours.
And, send her dancing rejoicing as she returns in Jubilee!"

Profane and profound, laughter and tears, "shock" and Awe. That is life. That is what Turning 50 is all about. Thanks, Kay and Mari. You both bless me more than you can imagine, you amazing women of light.

No comments: