Friday, January 22, 2010

Turning 50 -- Something Like 64 days to go...I'll count later

We have just returned from a flying trip to Kansas City. Saw lots of good friends, visited two schools, ate at several of our favorite restaurants, even learned to cook my grandma's shrimp gumbo recipe for friends while we were there. Busy, busy time. We drove for 12 hours today to get home, unloaded the car, unpacked all the bags, made 3 beds so we could go to sleep tonight in comfort, and I am now tee-totally exhausted.

When I was 26 and had just begun my own itinerant ministry, I drove 24 hours seven times in a two-week period once. I am not 26 anymore. I am almost double that. And I am twice as tired after one long day of driving than I remember being after 7 unwise marathons 'way back when. Fifty is not the same as 26. I mourn the loss of some of that youthful exuberance and seemingly endless energy. Particularly when the two 2nd graders in this household are still bursting with it at the end of a week like this. Ugh. That's why they give babies and young children to young parents.

But I'm grateful for what 50 brings, too. For one thing, I really know how to appreciate home now. I still love to travel and experience new things, but home is much more precious now. I also know how to cherish the friends in my life. I regret that at 26 I connected so deeply with so many (again, the travels) but failed to hold on to many of them for the long-haul. I hope that now my traveling has begun again, I shall do better to nurture the relationships, even when I have to move on.

Finally, 50 knows when to go to bed and rest. Good night, all! I'll catch you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, we all survive the big 5-0...

But since I am still celebrating my 51-and-how-the-heck-did-I-get-here birthday,please allow me to send you (and all who read this) a birthday gift: the link for a free cover-to-cover read of my book.

It's about how my amazing Spirit-led journey began on the birthday that my all of my friends forgot! (One of my best birthdays yet!)

Just sign up here: no experts needed dot com.

No strings/spam attached, really! (I know, hard to believe these days :-) It's simply my way of giving back.

Continue the celebration,
Louise Lewis, author
No Experts Needed: The Meaning of Life According to You!
www.noexpertsneeded.com